Gnash 2009 Summer Project
From Gnash Project Wiki
For the summer of 2009, Open Media Now has launched a fund raising campaign to do a very focused "Summer of Code" project. As OMNow is located in Colorado near Boulder, the idea is to sponsor 6-12 college student interns from the University of Colorado to implement as many of the classes in the ActionScript 3 specification as possible. While Gnash does have swf v9/10 parser support, it only works with flash files that don't use any ActionScript classes. Gnash currently doesn't have a complete ActionScript 2 class library, so this work will also benefit older swf files.
- [*] Create new ActionScript 3 class library directory structure
- [*] Create new ActionScript 3 directory structure for test suite
- [*] Migrate existing classes to new directory structure (mostly complete)
- [*] Migrate existing test cases to new directory structure (mostly complete)
- [*] Identify priorities for implementation
- [/] Implement classes with test cases in order of priority in branches
- [/] Migrate from branches to trunk when stable
- [ ] Do next Gnash release in time for FOSS distribution code freezes
The categories with slashes [/] mean that we have met with varying success on implementing and migrating classes. See the What We've Accomplished page to find out where we have been successful.
- Interviews done first few weeks of May, intern candidates identified
- Fund raising campaign launched, Please Donate
- Initial templates for all ActionScript classes added to Gnash
- Initial conformance test suite created
- Interns all set to start May 25th
- As of June 2nd, all existing ActionScript 2 test cases have been rewritten to Haxe format, which can generate v9/10 swf files. All rewritten classes now live in a new directory tree that follows the newer naming style with namespaces.
- The remainder of summer will be spent working on implementation of high priority classes especially those in:
- - Camera & Microphone class
- - System class
- - TextField & TextFormat class
- - LocalConnection class
- - Stage class
- As we are winding down the Summerbash program, check out What We've Accomplished
Follow Our Progress
- ActionScript Version Index
- HaXe Test Cases - Test Case Status
- HaXe tips and tricks - Some things we've learned about HaXe during the summer.
- AS Migration - Class Migration to New Hierarchy
- AS Implementation - Implementation of AS2/3 classes and features
- Website Compatibility - A List of Popular Websites, with Notes on Unimplemented Features and Errors
- What We've Accomplished - What features have been implemented throughout the duration of this project.